Saturday 12 May 2018

He didn't die.

We brought Caleb home with us, inside the main house and we hung out in the great room so I could keep an eye on him for a bit. He went with us upstairs to sleep last night. He woke up with us when the sun poured through the blinds I forgot to close and he is indeed okay but I needed that time to see for myself.

Sometimes he's the worst monster and sometimes he's the best, as he wolfed down the eggs and bacon I made for the house and brought upstairs for him, proclaiming it to be the best breakfast he's ever had.

I'll return the favor tomorrow, Neamhchiontach. It's Mother's Day. 

I shake my head. You won't be here tonight. 

Sad to hear that, he says but he knows better.

Lochlan felt a little bad, but not too bad. Ben didn't feel bad at all but then I realized briefly that Ben could have also gotten hurt on the jump to the water and what would we have done then? With PJ too busy laughing and no one else handy. What if all three of them had gone in and gotten hurt?

Odds are small, Peanut. Lochlan doesn't want to talk about it anymore. He doesn't want me to write about it, think about it, dwell on it or worry about it any more. He says we should move on and enjoy our weekend together because then I'll go back to work on Monday and he's going to miss me.


This job of yours has really thrown the whole Collective for a loop. 

Why? 

Why? Well, the thought of you busting your ass for a measly eleven dollars an hour-

Plus tips.

Plus tips, and the fact that you're out of arms reach all day and struggling to figure it out alone when we'd all prefer you to stick close and not have to fight so hard to get through the day is tough. It goes against everything I am. 

But you haven't said to stop. 

I'm letting you figure it out. I raised you well. If it's good for you, you'll be fine and if it's not you'll tell me. 

I will. I promise. 

Hard to let go of you, Peanut. 

You didn't. Jesus. I go to the diner, I put on an apron and serve breakfast and sometimes lunch and then I come home. To you. 

Thank God for that.