Thursday 5 June 2014

Thinking my pickups need to be replaced.

His head was sideways when he finally found me, bending to look under the workbench in the garage, where I have decided it's as good a pantry as ever to hide in.

He smiled. Hiya Piglet. You're hiding.

I nod and look away, putting my head back on my knees and wrapping my arms around the whole mess to try and hold myself together but it isn't working and large chunks keep falling off, rolling away to come to rest under PJ's Jeep.

Come talk to me.

You're not real though. What's the point?

It helps?

But does it or does it just haul me back to the starting line again? It's a race I'm never going to finish.

Who says you have to finish it?

Sam says I should at least try and get a good result here and it will be a waste of a life if I don't.

Sam's a good man.

Sam's a problem in that everyone here has a crush on him including me and it's driving Matt crazy.

Oh. I didn't expect that.

Caleb lost his mind and took a sparkly boy to the tropics because of it.

Really?

I thought you could see everything.

Well, I can but I don't look. I'm always watching you.

Oh, Jesus.

Hmmm, well. It hasn't been pretty but it could be worse.

I don't see how. You're not here. How much worse could it possibly get?

They love you, Bridget.

What about you? Did you love me? If you did then how could you do this to me?

I didn't love myself. I wasn't strong enough for you and I couldn't keep my head above water anymore.

Then why didn't you let me save you, Jake?

I didn't know you could.