Friday 29 July 2011

I will be there on his behalf.

Follow me into the desert
As thirsty as you are
Crack a smile and cut your mouth
And drown in alcohol

Because down below the truth is lying
Beneath the riverbed
So quench yourself and drink the water
That flows below her head
Jacob used to play Soundgarden at full volume. He adored the lyrics of the songs and sang loudly. He used their music as an aphrodisiac (anyone remember the post about the broken office chair?) and as a panacea too, the band only taking second place to his beloved Stone Temple Pilots, in any case. The Pilots were in his blood, the Garden was in his head and now I get to go to their shows and relive every last song with his baritone overlaying the vocals in my mind. He was not a self-conscious singer, my Jacob, and to this day I appreciate that in a way most people don't understand. Jake, this show is for you. I will enjoy it, I promise.
I left her in the sand
Just a burden in my hand
I lost my head again
Would you cry for me

Just a burden in my hand
Just an anchor on my heart
It's just a tumor in my head
And I'm in the dark