Monday 24 January 2011

Yesterday (Lefts only).

Just a little over twenty-four hours of total silence and sheer panic and I am back safe and sound to spend the next several days within the confines of a circle of protection that bends but won't break. Flexible. Like a Bridget with a wail of dismay when she learned she had to fly down and sign a whole sheaf of papers that transferred future controls to her from Caleb because he conveniently leaves things out that are important in order to leverage them later, only Ben put his finger on my lips and reminded me of that new word we're trying out.

Trust.

And so despite the protests of everyone who lives in this house and beyond, I talked to my lawyer, I asked the others to do what I was doing and just trust Ben already and then I climbed into the big black car with both of them, where Caleb proceeded to do just about every thing he could think of to undermine Benjamin and unnerve me and I COMPLETELY IGNORED him for the entire trip, short of those incredibly uncomfortable moments when he would ask me a company-related question in front of important people and I would answer with confidence and then resume the weird jittery shaky-fear on the inside.

I brushed off the advances of yet another round of horrific entitled millionaires who regularly buy people for a living who seemed rather put off when they couldn't buy us, but we were relaxed and cohesive with our responses to it all and left intact, though not unscathed.

I'm always one hundred percent sure I will pay for betraying Caleb and I've yet to be proven wrong but like everything else I'll add it to the growing pile of single shoes, since I never cease to wait for the other ones to drop.

In other news, I think the boys have made up. Boys being Benjamin and Lochlan, who have been bickering back and forth, mostly because Lochlan was afraid and didn't want me to go and also because Benjamin suspects he is engaging in a form of subtle...er, proselytization with me. The camper sat in the driveway for weeks. WEEKS. Until Ben finally asked what Lochlan intended to do with it.

Lochlan said Go camping.

(DUH.)

Ben didn't punch then. Strangely enough. Instead he told Lochlan maybe he should go live in his Dream Camper because he takes up a lot of room in the house. (Lochlan does, actually. He spreads out everywhere. He parents everyone. His moods sometimes rule EVERYTHING.)

Maybe my analogies should be about waiting for the other fists to fly.

Then we left for California. I had no idea punches can be postponed but they can. They actually get more powerful the longer you leave them tightly coiled. Because the Barbie's Dream Camper comment begat one about Frankenbenjamin and BOOM!

Ben doesn't like that particular nickname and Lochlan really wanted to get under his skin.

I dropped my carpet bag on the floor where I stood and went upstairs. Fuck it. I'm not dealing with it. I'm not choosing sides because they keep telling me I don't have to. I'm tired, I missed my kids and Ben and Lochlan are never going to get along for more than ten days at a stretch so whatever. Work it out and I'll see you both at dinner.

They did and I did. Magical.

Til the next time, that is. Probably later today. Ben is talking about having the camper painted pink and Lochlan asked if Ben needed his bolts tightened.