Saturday 19 May 2007

Afterglows and farkles.

    So sacrifice yourself
    And let me have what's left
    I know that I can find
    The fire in your eyes
    I'm going all the way
    Get away please

    You take the breath right out of me
    You left a hole where my heart should be
    You got to fight just to make it through
    Cause I will be the death of you


The steel horses have arrived. And on them the unlikeliest group of city-cowboys ever. They went to the grocery store as a group and I can only imagine the looks they got as they milled around picking up steaks and ice cream, Ruth and Henry passed from shoulder to shoulder and zoomed up and down the aisles.

That would be Jacob, Loch, Sam and Ben with the kids, while Lisabeth, Erin and I stayed home and pondered the lilacs and looked at photo albums.

It's not a sunny long weekend, oh no. It was a spare three degrees this morning when Jacob turned me from spooning with him onto my back, pulling me underneath him for some quiet and gentle love, holding my head so hard against his shoulder when I started quiet-screaming that I left a mark. Later on he got up and went downstairs to hurriedly build a fire in the woodstove and then came back upstairs and we had a long hot shower together. When we came downstairs again the whole house was warm and Erin was making pancakes and bacon.

So cozy. I wish I could keep her but she has a life, a very good and stable one.

I'm waiting now for Jacob to decide he needs a motorcycle. He's the last holdout, even Sam rides. I'm betting cash money that over dinner the topic will turn to bikes (again) and he'll give me that sly grin that confirms my suspicion. I thought the return of the old truck would keep stars in his eyes for a while but I may have been wrong.

In any event, it's really nice to have some happy times. Some quietly happy, no-dark-allowed times with my friends, who are my family. The whole wild bunch of them.