Saturday 30 September 2006

Permanent markers revisited.

Holy shit.

Jacob came home last night with a tattoo.

Just below the neckline where a t-shirt would fall on the centre of his back.

Angel wings. Symmetrical wings and if you look hard, scrolled within and difficult to discern are all of our initals. Baby included. JTF, BR, RB, HJ and OC. You have to know they are there, that's how well they were incorporated into the design. Mind-blowing.

I'm stunned. He's managed to eschew all forms of body modification all these years. Never had pierced ears. Never a need for anything and now this. Holy wow. It's beautiful.

I have tons of tattoos and am down to five piercings from seven and he's always told me if I had remained plain vanilla I would have been just as beautiful. But I didn't get any of it to be beautiful, I did it to mark days. To remember things, to be different. I did it to prove that I might be sweet and proper but I never forget who lies within. The expressive one. The freak. I think body art is beautiful.

Oh, fuck me, emoting all over the place today I am.

He got it because he is complete now, he said. I can't think of a better reason than that.