Thursday 8 June 2006

A promise.

I forgot to write an entry today. I'm sorry.

This is what happens when you wake up with a present on your pillow.

An actual gift, not a present like the dead spider presents the kitty leaves for me in the kitchen like little spindley dead trophies.

This present was wrapped in green paper and tied with a pink satin ribbon.

Jake got up and went to work early this morning. I didn't get up until 7:30. I usually am up by 6:30 to work out and jump in the shower before anyone else is up. He left early so he can come home early. He doesn't have Thursday night sessions anymore for the summer and we were planning to toast the Hemingways with Kirsch and pizza, since we finished A Moveable Feast last night.

I called him before I opened the box. He told me to go ahead and open it. Inside a blue velvet box was a beautiful white gold band with Gra Anois Agus Go Deo engraved inside. He asked me to translate.

Gaelic? Gra is love....something something, I'm so rusty...Deo is God?

Close. It says Love, Now and Forever. I wanted to give it to you a week ago but the jeweller misspelled it.

I wouldn't have cared.

You would have. He had Dea instead of Deo. Which I think means Nice. So it would have said Love, Now and for Nice or something like that. Do you like it?

I love it. But, Jacob...is it a wedding band?

No, Bridge, it's a promise.


A jewelry-induced lobotomy of that calibre is a good way to throw off the entire day. It's a good way to throw off an entire Bridget too.